Coronavirus is a new strain of viruses that was discovered in 2019 and had been previously unknown in humans. Currently, there is no vaccine to prevent coronavirus disease, 2019 (COVID-19). However, there are certain preventive measures that can be taken to minimize the risk of getting infected. Let’s see how to stay safe and what steps to follow:
Know How it Spreads:
In order to prevent getting infected from coronavirus, you must be aware of the various ways through which the virus is spreading. The virus is spread mainly from person-to-person. This includes
- People who are in close contact (within 6 feet) with one another.
- Through respiratory droplets produced by infected people when they cough or sneeze.
How to Stay Safe:
- Wash your hands regularly with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, scrubbing each and every part of your hand. When using sanitizers to disinfect your hands, make sure that it is alcohol-based and contains at least 60% alcohol.
- Surfaces that are frequently used- kitchen countertops, tables, workstations should be cleaned regularly with disinfectants.
- Avoid going to crowded areas and commuting to work via public transport. This should be specifically followed by people over the age of 60 and those suffering from any underlying health problems.
- Always carry a hand sanitizer with you and use it at regular intervals, especially before eating.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and other parts of your face.
- Speak to your employers and if possible, obtain a work-from-home option in order to avoid the possibility of coming in close contact with your colleagues. Staying at home and social distancing is the best way to prevent the spread of the virus.
- Stock up on household supplies and other necessary items that you require. For instance, if you or any of your family members take a specific medication, make sure to buy enough to last for weeks.
- If you show any signs or symptoms of the virus, immediately go to the nearest testing facility and get yourself checked. It is advised to quarantine yourself for a minimum of 14 days if you show symptoms of the virus.
Keeping these pointers in mind, you will be able to prevent getting infected from COVID 19 as well as contribute to stopping it from spreading across the area you reside in. Every nation affected by the virus is struggling to get a grip on the situation and it is ultimately on the people to understand the risks involved and act accordingly to help fight this pandemic.